Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Emergent Village and Me

This is so strange, really. I feel like I'm playing some kind of catch up game. The emergent church movement has been around for 10 years apparently ... it's been around so long that they are already having small group sessions and workshops to figure out what to do next ... growing pains even! It's like coming into the latest style after everyone else is starting to wear something else.

And here I am, so terribly new to the process, trying to read all that I can read and understand what is happening "out there." I'm not a theologian. I'm not in or connected to a university. I'm not an x, y or z generation. And it's taking awhile to figure out where everyone else (EV) has been so then I can understand why they are concerned about the now or the future.

I've even read where some younger folks in the emergent movement believe it has passed its prime. That seems amazing to me. I mean, most of the books have just come out in the last 4-5 years. Like everything else, it's all moving very fast.

The only avenue for "emergent conversation" for me is virtual. I'm trying to feel my way into a connection. It's all so interesting. But it's not so easy to feel a part of it. No matter what folks say about it, there is a language and a now, even a history, that must be known to participate.

Well, I'll just keep pressing on ... pressing in. If you're interested... here's a place to start: Emergent Village.

2 comments:

Steve K. said...

Hey Irmgarde,

I just wanted to post a note to let you know that your blog posts about Emergent have been coming through my RSS reader, and I'm really excited to read about your explorations. I hope you'll keep reading and exploring and asking questions and making contact with others "out there." I wouldn't be surprised if there are other Emergent-friendly near you that you can connect with for mutual encouragement. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get connected where you are.

Shalom,
Steve Knight

Irmgarde said...

Thanks... I will. The closest group is Baltimore ... but it's just not viable right now for me to trek down. Must be patient.