Saturday, November 14, 2009

In or Out?

It's amazing how a point of view can change after all. I used to think that these things were more rooted and inflexible. But I see myself changing each month... each year, my faith morphing, my love of Christ becoming more enduring, more challenging.

For anyone who has read any of my posts over the last year, you know I have been examining and reading lots of books, articles, and posts that have been emanating from the Emergent church movement. The emergents are really a disorderly crew whose spokespeople are self-appointed and express themselves differently, depending on their bent toward writing, speaking or performing. In some ways, it makes it more difficult to corral their points of view... everyone putting emphasis on those areas most important to them.

Most recently, I just finished Take Our Bread by Sara Miles. This is not the type of book I would have read a few years ago. Just by nature of the fact that she is a lesbian would have turned me off and away from her material. But then I also would have missed her love for Christ and the description of her work with the poor and the beautiful way she expresses Christ as the Bread of Life. Sara Miles is walking an authentic life. She is true to herself and her Lord.

A few days ago, I participated in a book discussion group that is an outgrowth of our church reading and discussing The Relationship Principles of Jesus by Tom Holladay in small groups. I would not say this is the most challenging book I've ever read... far from it. But the discussion that came out of the chapters about judging was very interesting and unfortunately, very revealing. One of the participants talked at length about his view of "non-judging" being represented by two concentric circles.... those who are "following the will of God... even poorly" are within the inner circle and less likely to judge while those who are willfully "not following the will of God" are outside. (It almost felt like Project Runway, either you are "in" or you are "out.")

How can anyone talk about "in" and "out" or following the will of God as a black & white experience and not believe this would end up being a judgmental practice.... even if done with "love."

Personally, I can no longer operate this way. If anything, I think we are all "out." We all fail; we all sin and fall out of the will of God daily.

Our pastor explained judging as making an assessment and along with it thinking less (or more) of the other person. If we say someone is either "in" or "out" ... isn't that automatically saying they are less?

I think the trap lies in thinking one sin is more sinful than another. But I don't see that in Jesus. Nor do I see it in Paul, even though he makes lists of sins. But there is still scripture that trumps them all: "...There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. [Romans 3:22b-23]

In the center of those concentric circles is only Christ Jesus and we are all drawn to the magnet of his love: some days we are closer to Him than on other days. But He is always drawing us nearer ... nearer by God to thee.

3 comments:

Janis said...

Have you ever considered how the Resurrection of Christ turns everything upside-down? "No longer am I doing something for God; He is doing something for me. No longer am I drawn by my needs to God; He is drawn by his compassion to me, whether I'm ready for Him or not, whether I feel anything for Him or not. That means you and I are not in charge; He is. That means that you and I aren't coming to God; He is coming to us." –Eugene Peterson, in Conversations

How much does the "will of God" have to do with simply loving Him? Do I love Him? If I totally embrace His love for me, will everything else fall into place? Is it a question of "in" or "out?" How does love change the question of "in" or "out?"

Janis said...

Live loved.

Irmgarde said...

I'm not sure Peterson's view is how I feel about it either. I don't think he's a moving target. For me, Jesus is that solid center which allows me, like a child, to be drawn toward Him. The power is pulling me... wooing me.

But I agree 100% with your comment about the will of God. This is my whole point... God does the transforming while we're doing the loving. Our "out" is always Jesus's "in." :-)