Sunday, August 28, 2005

First Day of School

I think all parents have an annual transition time when their kids head off to school. I basically still function on a school year. It's like something needs to start happening once September rolls around. It's time to get serious... new projects, new plans, new directions. :-)

Well, my oldest is off to high school tomorrow. I can remember Kindergarten and 1st grade... that look as he headed into the school building for the first time or got on the school bus. Red letter days! And now, here we are, facing high school and attitude and sloppy jeans and girls who write "Sergei is Sexy" with magic marker on his arm. Gad! I'm surprised they didn't write their phone numbers ... or maybe they did and he pocketed those, along with their IM names.

My youngest returns to the safety of Catholic school and 7th grade... he'll be seeing his friends again... he'll be back on familiar turf. That's a good thing, I think. Will he become such a stranger as Sergei is becoming? I need to let go... I know that intellectually. I'm working on it. Honest.

And my third... my poor stray daughter, still waiting in St. Petersburg for her new parents to come and pick her up. I know she feels forgotten. Oh Lord, make a way... break open the gates so we can bring her home. She should be starting school now too. She should be a freshman too. But the delays become longer and longer. The Russian government is tightening the restrictions. And the girl, my poor daughter, knows nothing of the bureaucracy... only feels yet another rejection, another abandonment. Have mercy, Lord. Have mercy on Lili. Make a way... only You can truly make a difference here. Like the widow in Luke 18:1-8.... I plead the power of persistence and justice!

No comments: