Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Tone of the Mind

The phrase, "tone of the mind" was coined by Ralph Waldo Emerson while journaling at the age of 23. It brings to my mind an ongoing need I have to identify and articulate my own "tone." Obviously, I am not nearly as profound or deep as Emerson but I discovered today that this phrase captures much of my intent when blogging. I am not an essayist nor do I pretend to be a great authority about any particular topic. If, by writing, however, I can get closer to a true encounter with the deeper places inside of me, then all the better. And perhaps, when I do touch the "tone of my mind," it will ring true to others and "make meaning" for them as well.

Most tones in my mind are not resounding gongs or orchestral masterpieces... this I recognize. But there is something that is driving me to write. There is a sense ... a feeling... a growing desire.

I have often said I think better while talking. That may not really be true as I am often appalled at what I say and often need to think fast for damage control. All the same, I believe I may think better while writing. It forces a clarity upon me that otherwise might get lost in the morass of a mind that is constantly thrumming, changing melodies, and often caught in repetitive cycles. Writing slows me down; talking does not. Writing requires me to "re-think" while talking throws itself on even the most unwilling listeners.

So, that's all. Just wanted to remember that I heard a tone today.


On a completely different note [smile], I send a special online hello to Sierra and Branson. Airline seatmates are truly serendipitous when traveling alone. Since becoming a Christian, I am fascinated by these "flash" encounters and oten consider them devinely orchestrated. Sierra, 10, and Branson, 13, will never know how much I enjoyed their conversation on my way to Denver on Saturday. It was fun to hear about their lives and to ovserve their spontaneous enthusiasm for everything. When Branson discovered I had been to New York and acting school, I was really golden. But the really great moment was Sierra turning to me and with total honesty, declaring, "I'd like to be in one of your plays!" Thanks Sierra. Thanks to you both for blessing a stranger with the simple things.



And lastly, happy birthday to my brother. It's been a really rough year for him and I pray the next one will hold some true recovery.

No comments: