Friday, May 13, 2005

Steps

Well, I'm back. This is one of the lines from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Little Lucy has just discovered Narnia on the other side of the wardrobe and spent a pleasant afternoon there, only to return to her "real world" to discover that no time has passed at all. She wasn't really missed. That's how this feels tonight. I've been on a wild and wooly journey, but here, no time has passed at all. Well, for the record...


  • I have finally fed-exed our dossier and now it's a waiting game as we wait for the call from the agency for our first scheduled visit to St. Petersburg and a visit with our new daughter, Lily. We talk each week, but she's getting discouraged.
  • I had surgery on my hand for a "trigger-finger" on the thumb: the opening of the tendon that allows the finger to bend became inflamed and too small for the tendon causing pain and difficulty in moving the thumb. Now, I just have a big bandage and a sore hand and tenderness at the incision point and numbness. They say the numbness will go away. I sure hope so.
  • I am sitting at my new desk in my new room. (See Unfinished Floor below) The shelves are still in in boxes and there's no artwork or rug, but I'm in and slowly organzing and preparing the space for occupation. Hurrah.
  • My eldest graduates in 10 school days from 8th grade. Wow.
  • Our house guest is still struggling with lots of issues. She treads heavily sometimes into lives, giving parenting advice and decor advice etc. It's frustrating sometimes, but I know it is part of getting better. I'm trying to help her find a place to live before our new daughter arrives this summer. The situation is not good... from bad credit to not being old enough (must be 62 for senior housing) to long waiting lists, yada, yada, yada. The bureaucratic maze is endless. I pray I never have to face it myself.


First impression: I need to recover a balance between the visionary and the day-to-day. But, perhaps there is more balance than I realize. Perhaps it has been the vision, after all, that is holding together my day-to-day. Yes, there is a sense of stepping on stones... but no swift stream here... just a vast, seemingly, never-ending sea. And yet, I see a way. There is strength in that.

No comments: