Sunday, May 01, 2005

Next up!

Well, one show is over and next up this week, I'll be learning how to navigate social services, HUD, and the local public housing authority for my wounded bird of a friend.

The other show... the play... went fairly well actually and most of the kids stepped up and did an admirable job. But now, in addition to careening through the social services learning curve, I must also return all the borrowed black curtains, and props, and costumes, and make-up. We did strike everything from the school cafeteria, so I won't have to drag that out. Little do they know... how done I really am. I mean, I think I'm cooked on doing shows for the school.

It's always been my policy to stay away from backstage during performances. I think the kids need to go it alone without the Director hovering, etc. But, when it's pre-teens performing en masse, I always ask the school administrator ... the PTA... the teachers... pleeeze, I need at least 3 adult volunteers backstage each performance and each dress rehearsal. I only got one. So, there were some incidents: a broken memento; stolen drinks from a teacher's desk; dry ice being snorted from a coke bottle filled with water; broken props; stolen money; consumed food props; allergic reactions, and more. It all just made me very tired.

I wonder what the students' memories will be of all this someday? Ah well, time to move on to government bureaucracy... not much different from school politics and parent apathy.

On a happier note, I found a retired guy who loves to do renovations on the cheap. He's even going to re-do the floor! My room... my wonderful sacred space may actually happen. My sanctuary... I am so ready for THAT to be next up.

No comments: