Thursday, April 07, 2005

Making a Space for Healing

I'm making a space. My mother's old room... used to be our family room and we renovated it for her. Around the family, I call it the Study. But really, it's a healing space. When my mother moved in, we had to store most of our books. I hope to bring back that library. There has always been something healing in books for me. When I was a child, my home was not a safe place and so I visited the library as often as I could. I remember, one day, pressing my entire body against a shelf of plays. I wanted all the words to pour into my body all at once. It was taking too long to read them one by one.

There will be a desk and a computer, of course, in my healing space. And there will be a place to read... and nap. And talk. There has to be place for sharing with friends, because there is healing in friendships. But even more, sharing with God. There will be an altar space, for that is where there will be discovery.

No comments: